top of page

Dyslexia Therapy Training

Certified Academic Language Practitioner (CALP)

Introductory Year

  • 15 days of summer classroom instruction in the science behind best practice, the brain processes utilized in reading, the structure of English, and the delivery of Take Flight, A Comprehensive Intervention for Students with Dyslexia

  • Supervised practicum in Take Flight with five lesson demonstration observations and feedback

  • Five Saturday seminars, providing continued instruction, practica, and collaboration with classmates

  • Meets qualifications to sit for ALTA CALP exam

Certified Academic Language Therapist (CALT)

Advanced Year

  • 5 days of classroom instruction in summer designed to broaden expertise in response to the varied needs of dyslexic students


  • Exposure to additional domains including writing, executive functioning and assessment

  • Continued supervised practicum in advanced Take Flight curriculum


  • Five Saturday seminars providing continued instruction, practica, and collaboration with classmates

  • Qualified to sit for CALT exam when teaching hour requirements are met

Training FAQs

Contact us to get started

I’m already trained in Wilson, Barton, OG, or another multisensory method. Would I still find this training important and valuable?

Absolutely. This is a comprehensive therapy program that goes beyond Tier 1 or Tier 2 support and provides training in therapeutic, specialized instruction for students with written language disorders at the Tier 3 level. Take Flight saves teachers countless hours of plan time as it provides evidence-based programming that has been researched in schools for decades and reiterated to best suit needs of groups or individuals of many ages.

Is Take Flight on the advisory list of intervention programming with the Colorado Department of Education?


Do I need to be a licensed teacher to participate?

No. The program is designed for teachers, parents, and tutors in private practice who are interested in learning the most robust methods for teaching children with dyslexia.

How long is the course? 

This program is designed for teachers with busy school-year schedules. It is a 15-day summer intensive, followed by five Saturday seminars spread throughout the school year.

Do I need an advanced degree to become an ALTA certified therapist?

Yes, as of 2023, the Academic Language Therapy Association requires a master’s degree to sit for the therapy level exam. However, after the first year of coursework, trainees may sit to become a Certified Language Practitioner, and the advanced year training is available without a master’s degree.

Can you explain the practicum?

The practicum is a piece that sets this level of training apart. It provides ongoing observation and supervision from a highly qualified instructor with personalized instruction and feedback as well as collaboration and interaction with classmates throughout the two years.


Interested in learning more about how we partner with educators?

bottom of page